aeontimeline

Open full view…

Sync Settings Menu Won't Open (Again)

fivethorns
Wed, 04 Dec 2019 22:30:51 GMT

With a Scrivener project open in Aeon Timeline, clicking the gear icon does not reopen the settings menu to change which timeline fields sync with which Scrivener custom metadata fields. Going to the menu Sync > Sync Settings also doesn't work. There's been more than one lengthy discussion here about this issue since 2017, and I'm sorry to be the squeaky wheel who reports it's still happening. My previous bug report identified special characters in Scrivener custom metadata fields as the culprit. But I thought this had been fixed in an update and made the horrible mistake of syncing my project with custom metadata containing parentheses. Now Aeon is not linking roles to Scrivener metadata, and I can't open the sync settings menu to fix it. I have hundreds of events synced, I'm on a publishing deadline, and the prospect of unlinking the entire Scrivener project and re-syncing it just so I can access the settings menu once (and then have it break again) is not viable. I really, really hope this bug will be fixed someday. In the meantime, Aeon users, learn from my disas ter and never, ever use parentheses or slashes in a custom metadata field in a Scrivener project you plan to sync with Aeon.

aeonjess
Fri, 06 Dec 2019 04:23:50 GMT

Hi, Sorry you have encountered this issue again. We are working on fixing this for the next update. In the meantime if you send through your Scrivener project and timeline file to support@aeontimeline.com we will at least be able to fix it for you so that the Project Sync Settings will open for you again. Jess

pete12000
Thu, 12 Dec 2019 03:00:24 GMT

I've run into this same bug. No Sync Settings menu anymore. When will it get fixed??? Can you release a hotfix or something? Like @fivethorns, one of my custom data fields is "Day #" which includes the pound sign, a special character. I can't confirm that it caused the problem. I was trying to figure out how to sync my event start dates (elapsed) with the Scrivener date field... without success... I created a few other fields along with it, I believe, so again: not 100% sure it's a special characters problem. Pete

aeonjess
Fri, 13 Dec 2019 23:59:37 GMT

Hi Pete, We are working on fixing this bug, but if you send through your Scrivener project and timeline file to support@aeontimeline.com, then we can look at the problem and fix the files so you can open the Sync Settings window again. Jess

fivethorns
Tue, 31 Dec 2019 19:44:08 GMT

Thank you for your replies, Jess. It's amazing to hear this fix is on the list for your next update! After waiting so long for this bug to be fixed, I can't wait for the update to drop. Will it be retroactive and fix currently bugged projects or only prevent the bug on new projects? (For copyright/legal reasons I can't send the files to your team, although I appreciate support offering to fix them.)

aeonjess
Wed, 01 Jan 2020 00:12:42 GMT

Hi, We can't confirm yet, but we would aim to have it so that it would fix projects with the current bug. Jess

leisaagh
Mon, 23 Mar 2020 14:46:19 GMT

Having the same issue. I'm using Scrivener 2 for Windows and Aeon Timeline 2 totally updated. On a Youtube video from around 2016, it shows that "New Custom Field" can be chosen on all of the ones that say "None" and then they all sync. However, now you can only choose "New Custom Field" in one field, if you choose it in more than one, it says "error duplicate field." So, you have to do one at a time, i.e., choose "New Custom Field" close the Settings Panel, reopen Settings and choose "New Custom Field" for the next field, etc. over and over again, which takes a lot of time in the first place. But, after I've only done 2 or 3 that way, the Settings panel refuses to open anymore, no matter what. It is not feasible to send my Aeon file to you each time it does this, because I have a lot more than 2 or 3 fields that I need to choose "New Custom Field." This is not something that should wait until the next version, this should be done immediately. I'm hoping this only happens on the Windows version. I have the Mac version, but my Mac is being repaired right now, so what wanting to use the Windows version in the meantime. If the Mac version doesn't have this problem, once I get it back, I will be requesting a refund for the Windows versions as it is unusable.

leisaagh
Mon, 23 Mar 2020 15:13:26 GMT

TRY THIS: To fix Sync Settings not opening-- I found that only two fields were causing the issue because they simply had an apostrophe. I went into the Scrivener file, deleted the Meta data for those two items. Then I went into the Aeon Timeline file and removed the apostrophes from the two items, then the settings panel opened again and then was able to sync the fields. Only use alpha-numeric characters nothing else. [However, I understand fivethorns frustration because if there were many that had to be fixed, it would be time consuming.]

fivethorns
Tue, 28 Apr 2020 19:47:41 GMT

Thank you so much for sharing your strategy for fixing the sync settings menu on existing projects! Fixing the fields is much less time consuming that deleting the sync relationship and re-linking all your events. If it breaks again, your suggestion is going to be a huge time saver! Thank you, thank you, thank you!