Open full view…

Data fields stripped out when cutting and pasting events between timelines.

Sat, 22 Feb 2020 19:47:25 GMT

I am using Aeon Timeline as a user interface to thousands of historical documents for my book. In order to plot them all, I hired a research assistant. We set up the same folder system on her computer as on mine so when I cut and paste one of her events into my master timeline the link to the document is maintained. It's working great except for one important thing. When I cut and paste the event into my timeline the information she typed into the "Taraneh's Notes" field under Values doesn't transfer. See the two images attached. You can see the line in one of the pictures, which is from her timeline, and one without, which is mine. This is important because that field gives me important information about the documents. You can see the Summary field right above it. THAT information transfers perfectly, but not the field below it. Can you please tell me how to fix this? Thank you! [Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 2](// [Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 2](//

Sun, 23 Feb 2020 23:57:48 GMT

Hi, Sorry you are having trouble copying events. From the screenshots you sent through, it looks like they are showing different events, I assume the event al305.1 on your timeline doesn't contain any information in that text field aswell? I tested creating the same property on some example timelines, and it did copy the information correctly, so it might be something to do specifically with your files. Are you able to send through the files to ? This will help us work out what the problem is. Jess

Wed, 26 Feb 2020 23:16:11 GMT

Sure, okay! Let me first figure out if I have made the mistake you mention, about the two files. If not then I'll send them. Thank you for being so helpful!

Fri, 28 Feb 2020 20:59:39 GMT

Hi Jess, I have double-checked and the same events are not copying over properly. I'm sending the two timeline files to you by email.

Mon, 02 Mar 2020 00:17:11 GMT

Hi, Thanks for sending these through, we have found out what the issue is and I have emailed you about it, but for others who might have a similar problem, the reason the field wasn't copying is because the name was technically not the same between the files. If you look at the above screenshots, the one on the left uses a curly apostrophe, while the one on the right uses a straight apostrophe. If you change this property to have the same on both files, then you should be able to copy the information. Jess